As Western Australia’s centralised wholesale fresh produce market, PMGL has an existing Pandemic Plan that ensures that the businesses operating from the Site can continue to carry out essential services, should an outbreak occur again in WA.
Perth Markets remains a restricted access Site and remains at Stage 2 under the Pandemic Plan ‘to follow State Government Directives’. All visitors to the Site must be pre-registered with PMGL prior to entering site.
Site users and visitors are reminded to maintain social distancing, practice good hand hygiene and immediately report any suspected cases to PMGL Reception on 9456 9200 or the People and Safety Manager on 0428 100 252 to allow Perth Markets to engage its procedures under the Pandemic Plan.
It is a condition of Site entry that all Site users must swipe in and out of the Site. This will assist with any contact tracing if required.
PMGL is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and is ready to respond to address the unique nature of the pandemic threat. If you have any questions about PMGL’s Pandemic Plan, you may contact us.
PMGL encourages all businesses to follow the WA Health Department requirements in relation to COVID-19 and vaccination planning.
Perth Markets Group Limited (PMGL) is committed to the ongoing safety of all Market users, Market employers, employees, staff members and our local community. PMGL is in direct contact with WA Health and the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC), and also continues to monitor and review regular advice from WA Health in relation to the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The advice continues to remain the same being if you are feeling unwell you should stay home and seek medical advice. Do not attend Perth Market for work or to purchase produce if you are feeling unwell in any way.
PMGL’s preparations are focussed on business continuity planning, sustaining the critical and ongoing operation of the Markets, and the support required to achieve this from PMGL’s staff members and service providers.
Any requirement to close the Markets could only be at the direction of the State Government and there has been NO indication as yet that this kind of measure will be implemented.
Perth Markets form an essential part of the fresh produce supply chain in meeting the needs of WA consumers.
No Danger to Food
It’s important to understand that Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ), European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Produce Marketing Association (PMA) have all stated there is no evidence that COVID-19 could be transmitted via food.
There are no clinically confirmed cases of COVID-19 linked to the consumption of fresh produce or food sold through traditional retail outlets. It is important that consumers always adhere to food safety guidance by washing their produce and washing their hands thoroughly before and after shopping.
Work Currently Under Way – Being Prepared
- Site planning and requirements including how PMGL will be managing interstate trucks entering the Site
- Developing a response Plan if Perth Markets becomes an exposure site
- Keeping up to date with the latest news from WA Health
- Vaccination information
- The COVID-19 vaccine is an important measure to keep WA safe and healthy, and will help protect you, your family and the community.
- The rollout of the vaccine in WA started in late February 2021 with priority groups offered the first doses.
- Australia’s vaccination is managed by the federal Government. The WA Department of Health are responsible for the rollout of the vaccine program in WA
- It is recommended all adults get the COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine is free. Click on this link to find answers to some commonly asked questions https://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus/COVID19-vaccine/FAQs
- All West Australians aged 16 and over can now book a COVID-19 vaccination by visiting https://rollup.wa.gov.au/
- Samy Medical Centre at Market City is expecting supplies of the Astra Zeneca vaccine on September 20, 2021 . Please call to book an appointment on 9557 2600
The government has advised that if anyone believes they display symptoms of the virus (fever, shortness of breath, coughing and sore throat) or may have been infected with COVID-19 they should call 13COVID (13 26843) advise their situation and follow the advice and instructions given.
For further information and the latest updates visit https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-latest-updates
To register for a QR code for your individual business please click on https://safewa.health.wa.gov.au/
PMGL will continue to monitor the government advice and maintain our focus on the planning required to facilitate the ongoing operation of the Markets.
Remember, we are all in this together.
Mark Lindsay CEO