About Market City
The Perth Markets Ltd (PML), a private entity is responsible for the ownership and management of Market City.The asset, developed in 1989 is situated on 51 hectares of land at Canning Vale, 16km south of the CBD of Perth, the capital city of Western Australia.
Market City plays a critical role in the marketing and distribution of fresh produce in the State. Over $638M (AUD) worth of fresh produce is traded annually through the Central Trading Area (CTA) of the markets. In addition significant sales are carried out by tenants to the major supermarkets and through interstate and international trade.
The CTA is currently fully leased with few vacancies in the commercial area and warehouses. The site occupancy rate is over 99% on a total net lettable building area of 81,550m2. There remains 12 hectares of the site that is undeveloped at this stage.
Market City Key Features
- Access to a world class central market infrastructure
- A customer base of approximately 600 buyers regularly using the market including the major supermarkets, independent supermarkets and fresh produce suppliers, food service and catering businesses,
- A tenant base of twenty five primary wholesalers, and over thirty secondary wholesalers, providores, distributors and food processing facilities,
- On site national and local transport and storage companies,
- A meat processing facility and weekly seafood auction,
- A Retail and Business Services Centre which includes conference facilities, the Department of Agriculture, accountants, lawyers, human resource service providers, newsagent, banking facilities, and industry organisations.
- A modern 7 day public food precinct featuring seafood, meat, fresh produce, gourmet foods, confectionery, cafes and eating establishments.
- Public access to a Sunday Community Market on site
- A tavern and service station,
- Access to Industry training programs, and professional service providers for product testing, inspection, and certification.
- The protection of a 24 hour 7 day security presence, including close circuit television systems within the industrial and wholesale precincts,
- Site cleaning, forklift service and refuelling facilities,
- Service providers including pallet and crate hire companies,
- Access for eligible buyers to an on site buyers credit service,
- On site providers of telecommunications, accounting and software solutions,
- A fresh produce price reporting service
PML plans to continue to invest to increase the profile of Market City and to consolidate its position as the centre for fresh food excellence in Western Australia. The redevelopment consists of a series of interdependent projects.
There is strong industry demand for further warehouse and site development. These opportunities are arising due to:
- The strong demand for quality industrial land in Canning Vale,
- The completion of Roe Highway through Canning Vale further enhancing the logistical advantages of Market City,
- Significant interest from existing tenants wishing to consolidate their operations at Market City,
- Enquiries from food service companies outside the facility to relocate to the site are increasing as the profile of Market City develops as a preferred location for food businesses,
- Interest from further processing operations wishing to add value to fresh produce, and exporters and ship providores seeking to use Market City as their logistic base,
- Industry service organizations wishing to locate close to their customers to a controlled access site in the near future
To meet this demand PML is currently completing a master planning process to demonstrate the opportunities to potential new tenants. Features of the masterplan will be a food industry precinct, further warehousing, a controlled site access plan, further development of a service precinct for scientific and quality assurance, an industry training facility.